Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 1:36 am

Post subject: Social contract
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-11 7:53 am 

EDH/commander is supposed to be fun were supposed to have a social contract basically to protect everyones experience so that everyone has a chance to play or do anything. I think there should be rules or something that if other players before the game even starts decide to make a deal so that you cant do anything thus breaking the social contract. Thats not really in the spirit of edh. I mean sure i can go make the most degenerate deck that is almost always consistent just to shut everyone else out of the game but thats not how you keep players and bring in new people. So i ask the rules committee to look into social contract rules.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Social contract
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-11 1:57 pm 

Unfortunately it's very hard to come up with an exact set of rules which in the end reinforce the exact kind of social contract you're looking for. There's a couple of things to make this even harder:
  1. There are people who enjoy, and enjoy playing against, such lists. (Yes, the idea of the format didn't start that way, but there are sections of the community that enjoy it that way.) If the rules were written to exclude that playstyle, the format would lose a good chunk of players
  2. There's a saying in Roleplaying games that goes along the lines of "if you give it stats, that means we can kill it". If you have a God in your game and just say "It's a God. You can't kill it" then the players will - for the most part - believe you. If you give it stats, no matter how outlandish those stats are, they'll find a way to kill it. Same thing here; if you just say "it's a social format" most people - again, for the most part - will believe you and play it that way. If you start giving it "stats" - which is to say, rules, the exact types of players you're talking about will point to the rules and say "it doesn't say I can't do <x> so that's what I'm going to do" (see: a lot of discussions about the banned list).

TL;DR it's way harder to specify exactly what "social contract" means in words, and even if you do, it just gives the rules lawyers something to figure their way around.

Edited to add: By far the best way to approach this is find a group of players who think the same way you do, sit down and agree on the way you want to play the game, and have fun with it that way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-11 8:06 pm 

I bow to the wisdom of the elder dragons. I just brought this up to see if there was something that could be done. Now i see that I like Urza must take matters in my own hands and do whatever must be done no matter how dirty to ensure this foes eradication.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-12 10:20 am 

Isn't that rule 1:
http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-29 1:50 am 

I’ve gotten to the point that after you tell people your not playing cEDH and what your general powerlevel is. If they infinite combo early enough into the game we just keep playing without them.

I’ve done this three times and even though people don’t like it. It’s a way to play out the game.

Ether your sick of people just taking a huge load of infinite activations and triggers before turn 8 when you are trying to play with more casual players or you invite them to the cEDH table and they shy away from it because their deck isn’t ready for it.

So to combat people trying to be sly with the social contract I’ve gone ahead and just stated every game that if someone goes infinite and that rest of the board of players didn’t feel like the game felt played then we just say they won and contuine playing. It’s a compromise of they didn’t just force a new game and we don’t have a 4th or 5th player.

One person has typically disliked this course of action, but their reasoning is more to do with the social aspect of someone not feeling inclusive to the format and from the standpoint of being a leader of the community. Some of which were valid, but at the end of the day when you sit down and say I don’t play sol ring or infinite combos and I expect we are going to have a fun casual game. Then don’t be upset when you eject yourself from the game turn 6 with your infinite mana,draw,spells,damage,exile combo. You shouldn’t think that your more important then the other 3 people at the table.

On the other hand if someone is just making the game painful to play and nothing is happening at all please combo so we have a reason to shuffle up and play a new game without 6 enchantments that make the game unresovlable.

Offline Profile