Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-16 7:09 pm

Post subject: Mtg arena casual?
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 8:08 am 

So, as a long time i-only-play-commander-guy and filthy casual, I'm having very little fun on mtg arena. I dont have a playgroup, or the kind of time needed to play IRL magic, so I've been trying to enjoy arena.

The occasional match is fun, but there is a lot of stabdard-deck-testing-tournament-douchbaggery on arena. Anyone have any luck playing on arena with silly or fun decks? Is there a secret I'm missing? Is arena basically just FNM online?

Also, deck building in a standard environment is frustrating. I have like 22 illegal decks and 3 legal ones. I cant wait for historic to gain some steam. Also I'm saving my coins for the packs of old historic cards. Fingers crossed

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mtg arena casual?
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 8:51 am 

I agree much of constructed on arena can be miserable. I do it so I can draft for free, I love draft almost as much as edh.

In its present form arena is set up to reward wins, with only rudimentary social interaction via emotes. No wonder casual/for fun play is hard to find.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 9:29 am 

I try to get in 4 wins a day, and I often do 5-3/6-3 in drafts. I also am not a huge fan of playing the same deck over and over, but I have enjoyed this deck:

3 Karn, the Great Creator
2 Prison Realm
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Guild Summit
3 Dimir Guildgate
3 Fae of Wishes
3 Narset, Parter of Veils
4 Gates Ablaze
1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God
4 Revenge of Ravens
1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno
2 Teferi, Time Raveler
2 Oath of Kaya
4 Ashiok, Dream Render
2 Realm-Cloaked Giant
4 Interplanar Beacon
4 Azorius Guildgate
2 Orzhov Guildgate
4 Izzet Guildgate
2 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Plaza of Harmony

1 Bag of Holding
1 Scrabbling Claws
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 God-Pharaoh's Statue
1 Meteor Golem
1 Prison Realm
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
1 Narset, Parter of Veils
1 Murderous Rider
1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno
1 Sarkhan the Masterless
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

I am not quite fast enough to beat the best Mono-R draws and it is hard to beat Field of the Dead but not impossible. There are a lot of decision points and it often feels like I am playing Magic: The Puzzling.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 10:11 am 

In short, there is no casual MTGA.

The ranking system means you will find different levels of high to lower level decks, and it will naturally cause you to plateau somewhere around your deck's power level and skill. Ultimately it is very much like FNM, some places will have people playing random jank, other's will have people playing Top 8 lists.

I play both a mildly tuned black aggro list, and a well tuned temur elementals list. Neither are really top 8 type decks, but I get a good mix of wins a loses

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 11:23 am 

That's one major reason I have not yet tried Arena. However, as I have said before, I have a Clan on MTGO for anybody in the forums that wants to join there and play. I can even donate cards (I have a clan account that exists solely to give cards away to clan members) if you need/want them.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-15 12:06 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
That's one major reason I have not yet tried Arena. However, as I have said before, I have a Clan on MTGO for anybody in the forums that wants to join there and play. I can even donate cards (I have a clan account that exists solely to give cards away to clan members) if you need/want them.

I think i might still have some cards on MTGO. the interface is super-near-unusable. But it's hard af to find fun games when you have 4 kids, 2 of which are preteen and work a full time job.

I'll have to see what is still on my mtgo account and if it even runs on my computer any more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-16 7:09 am 

To the OP, maybe you and some like minded friends can look into the MTG Arena direct challenge option ...

https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc ... llenge-FAQ

edit : also find a relevant discord group, maybe this one https://discordservers.com/server/167375953561911296

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-24 6:31 am 

Brawl is open right now, and it has been a lot of fun. Been pretty sad about my Syr Gwyn deck though, it has been way too slow

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-24 8:55 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Brawl is open right now, and it has been a lot of fun. Been pretty sad about my Syr Gwyn deck though, it has been way too slow

Sheet, I didn't see it yet last time I signed in. Constructed brawl?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-25 1:04 am 

Shoe wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:

Sheet, I didn't see it yet last time I signed in. Constructed brawl?

yes, I have like 14 decks built right now, Yorvo is actually the most fun one

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-26 3:05 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Brawl is open right now, and it has been a lot of fun.
Is it? I played a few games when the event began and over 75% of them were either Golos (which isn't as oppressive when it can only fetch 1 Field, but still not very fun to play against) or Oko (which is just as miserable in Brawl as it is in Standard. I built a Domri aggro deck which really put pressure on either of those matchups pretty well, but I still found myself uninterested in continuing after I made my 5 wins.

Has it gotten more diverse since then?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-26 4:01 am 

intreped wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
Brawl is open right now, and it has been a lot of fun.
Is it? I played a few games when the event began and over 75% of them were either Golos (which isn't as oppressive when it can only fetch 1 Field, but still not very fun to play against) or Oko (which is just as miserable in Brawl as it is in Standard. I built a Domri aggro deck which really put pressure on either of those matchups pretty well, but I still found myself uninterested in continuing after I made my 5 wins.

Has it gotten more diverse since then?

I have only played against Oko three times and have yet to see Golos. I have played maybe 40-50 games? I do have an Oko deck but it just wasn't as interesting as my Yorvo or my The Haunt of Hightower decks.

Of course as soon as I typed this, I played a few more games and played against Oko twice and Vraska, Golgari Queen twice... so maybe it is settling? I did beat Oko once with The Haunt of Hightower but lost with Niv-Mizzet Reborn. Lost to Vraska twice with Questing Beast.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-27 11:50 am 

I couldn't get it up for brawl. I built a mono-black deck to finish the event, but every time I tried to build a different deck I found it lacking substance. Or I would play a deck I thought was interesting and then get choked out by Garruk, Cursed Huntsman of a thousand removal spells.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-27 6:16 pm 

I went brawl with a chandra, awakened inferno pile. It took maybe 10 games to get the 5 wins. Overall I'd say most games were a bad matchup for one of the players and only 1 game involved skill at all.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-28 11:01 pm 

i ended up playing a significant amount of brawl last weekend, it was ok, there were a few oppressive decks, but the real drawback is the shallow card pool. With standard, WOTC pushes set themes so hard, it feels like the decks were half built for me.

It WAS nice that some janky commons were really viable.

Offline Profile