Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-14 5:29 pm

Post subject: 3/4 color reanimator
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 2:16 am 

Hello all. I have decided to build a reanimator deck using the power of isareth to return creatures and blink them out to keep them. Problem is i cant decide on who to use as a commander and whether to go 3 color or 4.this also brings up the issue of card choices for reanimate targets. I would like to make this a value list thats fair and fun(no ld, no infinite loops). I am working on a limited budget but have access to fetches, shocks , praetors and most reanimation spells. Im willing to pick up certain pieces if need be. Any help/advice would be great. Ive been stuck on this idea for awhile and im stuck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 3/4 color reanimator
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 5:33 am 

Realistically, I think all you need is Isareth and Conjurer's Closet, so the only required color to do that is black. Then Isareth can be your commander, which, if you really want to build around this interaction, is going to be much much more reliable than having to draw or tutor both Isareth AND the closet. Then you just need to fill your deck with creatures that have decent ETB's like Massacre Wurm and Rune-Scarred Demon, ramp to be able to pay a decent X, and tutors to put it all together. Equipment or auras that protect Isareth with evasion and/or indestructibility are advisable, as are sacrifice outlets and discard outlets to put your reanimation targets back in the yard from play. Since Isareth makes you pay their cost to begin with, it seems like you'd just want to hard-cast them the first time, let them die to removal, combat, etc, and then get them back with Isareth later for value.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 5:55 am 

thanks for the help ill have to look into her as a commander now. but even if im not concerned about using her as the commander which would be a better shell for her as the 99? esper or 4 color? tutoring for her wont be an issue with survival of the fittest or protean hulk if I go green. or am I overthinking this?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 8:40 am 

DarkKnightKefka wrote:
thanks for the help ill have to look into her as a commander now. but even if im not concerned about using her as the commander which would be a better shell for her as the 99? esper or 4 color? tutoring for her wont be an issue with survival of the fittest or protean hulk if I go green. or am I overthinking this?

Well, the thing is, in order for Isareth to do very much, you need her to stick around for a while. If she's not your commander, someone can point a Path to Exile at her, and you've pretty much lost her for good, and then all your building around her is for naught.

All that said, if you're really set on having Isareth in the 99 and building around blinking... I'd go esper. Aminatou, the Fateshifter does blink, and you can load up on all the other usual blink suspects - Brago, Mistmeadow Witch, Venser, the Sojourner etc.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 9:28 am 

You might want to do Red for haste, as most reanimation spells don't grant it. Green would be good for mana ramp.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 11:30 am 

I feel like Sid's suggestions are on point. One tricky thing about reanimator builds is that deck space gets really tight really quickly... the deck needs a balance of cards to fill the graveyard, worthwhile creatures to reanimate, and then the actual reanimate effects. The more colors you add, the more options open up, and the harder it becomes to keep the list balanced.

If you want to make Isareth (+ similar effects, like Corpse Dance, or Dawn of the Dead) and blink the main interaction in the deck, Esper is the best option, and Aminatou is a solid choice of commander.

If you felt like you really wanted green, I'd shift to Abzan. There's still plenty of blink effects in mono-white, and green does admittedly have plenty of good blink-able creatures. Plus, Karador and Teneb are both great options for graveyard decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 12:27 pm 

Ty guys for the tips i have a jump off point ithink. Now i need to figure the targets out: If i go esper: Elesh, sheoldred, god eternal bontu, lark, karmic guide, gary, all 3 titans, sad sam, runescarred. What other suggestions?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-19 2:05 pm 

DarkKnightKefka wrote:
Ty guys for the tips i have a jump off point ithink. Now i need to figure the targets out: If i go esper: Elesh, sheoldred, god eternal bontu, lark, karmic guide, gary, all 3 titans, sad sam, runescarred. What other suggestions?

Elesh Norn probably isn't a great target - she has no ETB trigger, and while the static ability is nice, I feel like this isn't really the deck for her. Likewise if you're dead-set on esper, Gary loses value because your devotion is going to be spread out a lot more. I've also found Frost Titan to be the most underwhelming titan - can probably leave him home if space gets tight.

Here's a list off the top of my head of things you might want to reanimate, and/or blink over and over for value. It should not be considered exhaustive, and I'm sure there are lots of other great targets.

Things that kill things;
Overseer of the Damned
Ashen Rider
Angel of Despair
Massacre Wurm
Shriekmaw
Angel of Serenity
Noxious Gearhulk
Demon of Dark Schemes
Luminate Primordial
Duplicant
Phyrexian Ingester

Card advantage/tutoring;
God-Eternal Bontu
Rune-Scarred Demon
Mulldrifter
Sphinx of Uthuun
Sidisi, Undead Vizier
Gonti, Lord of Luxury
Disciple of Bolas

Other utility;
Angel of Finality
Chancellor of the Spires
Diluvian Primordial
Jace's Mindseeker
Sepulchral Primordial
Solemn Simulacrum
Sun Titan
Grave Titan
Magister Sphinx

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-22 11:49 am 

...and here's where I'm going to disagree with Sid: I think Elesh Norn is an amazing reanimator target. She's been my go-to lady for reanimator builds ever since she was in standard. She's absolutely crushing against a wide array of different strategies (tokens, tribal stuff like goblins or elves), and she's gotten even better in recent years as more of the ramp strategies have moved away from Rampant Growths into more mana dork heavy builds.

There are a couple other cards from recent sets that are quite good for blinkin' n' reanimatin'
Agent of Treachery (an excellent blink target)
Nezahal, the Primal Tide (multi-role card, since you can fill your GY with more reanimate targets)
Massacre Girl
Razaketh, the Foul-Blooded
Vilis, Broker of Blood (yes I realize these last two don't ETB or anything, but they're about the best thing around to reanimate)

Besides the giant reanimate targets, I recommend paying careful attention to your supporting creatures, 'cause they can help set up your reanimates (while also providing handy targets for Reveillark or Sun Titan). Bazaar Trademage, Champion of Wits, and the humble Owl Familiar are all handy for this. Oreskos Explorer and Boreas Charger are good for this too, since you can overstock your hand, then discard a reanimate target at the end of your turn.

I also like Archaeomancer and Mnemonic Wall in this kind of deck... combined with something like Living Death or Ghostway, they give you the ability to repeatedly blink/reset your whole team.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-23 7:14 am 

Kemev wrote:
I think Elesh Norn is an amazing reanimator target.

Yes, she is. But she's not a great blink card. Therefore, I think he's better off with things like Massacre Wurm that will have value when blinked, vs. a static pump/shrink, especially since a lot of his creatures will be large to begin with and not really need the pump. Just my opinion, of course.

Offline Profile