Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 2:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-22 2:15 am 

NMS wrote:
Next, how about another weird new card. Does any deck particularly benefit from Aeon Engine?
https://scryfall.com/card/c19/52/aeon-engine

This card, I think, is deceptively powerful. It's a colourless almost-Time Warp when you use it on the turn of the player who goes after you.

As such, I think it'd probably be best in a deck that has a wincon that's slow to realize that's not necessarily in blue. Perhaps a non-blue aggro deck would work best, but I'm going to recommend Golos, Tireless Pilgrim. Golos, apparently, is the premier Maze's End commander, and as a wincon that works at a Glacial pace, any extra time you can buy helps. It also might help you leverage the free cards Golos can bring, if you're not playing Maze's End.

Next up: Cavalier of Flame

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-22 10:10 pm 

Sinis wrote:

Lord Windgrace. Stocks the graveyard with lands, pumps your Worm Harvest tokens, and dings someone on the way out.

Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-23 2:11 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

I definitely would like this in a "Flying matters" deck. With things like Favorable Winds and Serra Aviary. My choice would be to use Isperia in any of her incarnations, most likely Isperia the Inscrutable to keep on the flying theme.

Next card:
Guildmages' Forum

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-23 3:49 am 

TygerClaw wrote:

Well the obvious answer is Rienne, but the issue with this card is that making your team slightly bigger usually isn't worth casting them behind curve. To help with that, I think a good commander would be Kethis, the Hidden Hand, since he offsets the extra mana you are spending on it, and since there are around eighty multicolored legends in his colors, you should be able to put a pretty solid deck together.

Next Card: Flood of Tears

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-27 6:01 am 

Coco wrote:
Next Card: Flood of Tears

First of all, Flood of Tears is sick. Part sorcery Cyclonic Rift, part Show and Tell. It's great in nearly any deck/meta slow enough where a six-mana sorcery isn't unplayable.

I like it best in a Group Hug-ish deck that has silly big stuff that it could considerably cheat in, and is prone to finding itself looking at other players big endgame-y stuff. It seems like the perfect way for Braids, Conjurer Adept to clean up a cluttered board, stranding other people's "free stuff" in their hands while you get to keep your Stormtide Leviathan/It That Betrays/Omniscience/whatever. Or Teferi's Puzzle Box.

How about Anje's Ravager, outside of it's precon?

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-03 12:50 am 

Jeyal wrote:
How about Anje's Ravager, outside of it's precon?

I think this card is going to serve best in a deck that wants to reload as often as possible. I think we're at the point of development of card-draw in Red where Wheel of Fortune and its analogues are not auto-includes. While they were once the only red draw in town, I think now there are decks that would rather run some impulse draw, like the new Ignite the Future, Outpost Siege, or Chandra, Fire Artisan and skip out on the symmetry.

That said, the deck with Anje's Ravager is the kind of deck that will want to run Wheel of Fortune and similar, but without the general being a draw engine (like Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain). But, the deck also doesn't want to just have one big turn, like Neheb, the Eternal, where your opponents don't get to leverage cards from Wheel because the game is over. Anje's Ravager wants cards, turn over turn.

There are a bunch of options for this card. More than anything, I think it wants to live in Rakdos, Lord of Riots. Rakdos likes to attack, and probably wants to draw as many cards as possible as they flood the board, turn over turn. The idea that the cards are available post-combat isn't such a big deal; that's when Rakdos wants to play them.

The only feelsbad in this is that you might draw a bomb during your draw step that demands a discount from Rakdos (like Maga, Traitor to Mortals) and be unable to leverage it because you have to discard it during the combat step. If you have no other draw, 1 in 4 cards is going to get drawn and discarded before Rakdos can apply a discount. But, that's a small price to pay to draw three every turn, right? Also, there are pre-combat cards that would work just fine; Flame Rift and friends could be used to play what you want before you start combat.

How do we feel about Agent of Treachery? Where does this chap live?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-05 8:49 am 

Sinis wrote:
How do we feel about Agent of Treachery? Where does this chap live?

Clearly goes in a deck that blinks things. Roon and Brago, both come to mind. I'll lean toward Roon because he has green to facilitate the ramp to cast a 7-drop more easily.

Next, how about Doom Foretold?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 8:23 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Next, how about Doom Foretold?

Vona, Butcher of Magan — Can snipe any permanent that would prevent Doom Foretold's ability to trigger, is suitable for Knight tribal.

I've always been looking for a home for Obsidian Fireheart.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2019-Nov-13 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 3:03 am 

Quote:

AKA the best creature Wizards ever printed.

Its obvious strength is a near-impenetrable form of burn, not unlike Chandra, Awakened Inferno, while its obvious weakness is its incredible mana dependency, and in particular a dependency on red. The easy answer is Neheb, the Eternal, but he's also arguably the most "goodstuff"-y commander mono-red has access to.

It's also a strong choice for general control-ish punisher decks like Kaervek and Mogis, and I personally run him in an Anya, Merciless Angel deck that has a lot of the mechanics of punisher. But I think the winner is Nikya of the Old Ways. Not only does she herself grant the necessary ramp, but she also adds in a fair amount of green ramp spells, and an all/mostly creature deck is the kind of place where there's a lot less opportunity cost to putting in such a high-investment card.

Next question, give me a non 5color general who deserves to live happily ever after.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 4:45 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Next question, give me a non 5color general who deserves to live happily ever after.

Zedruu the Greathearted with a light sub theme of gain control cards. You'll be in the best colors for theft effects to get the other colors you need (lacking Black and Green, both popular colors, helps), or you'll also have access to any color-changing cards Blue is known for. Jeskai also employees some of the most variety when it comes to utilizing different card types for various strategies (Izzet artifacts, White is half the color for Enchantress, Red and White is heavy with small creatures, Blue is the best for instants and sorceries, and it has a who's-who roster of the best planeswalkers). People won't be expecting Zedruu to do this, and you'll have the life gain requirement baked into your Commander.

How about Feasting Troll King?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 1:24 pm 

Segrus wrote:

The church of death is always looking for new members, let Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest welcome you to the congregation. With access to both green and black mana the royal troll is more than welcome to come and eat to his heart's content. All of our harvests are filled with a Primal Vigor to where you would swear it was a Doubling Season or at the very least you might be experiencing one of many Parallel Lives, so the amount of food the king will be able to house in his larder will be astronomical.

And if his highness ever begins to grow concerned about the food supply drying up, don't worry about it. Though she may appear to have a somewhat Tortured Existence, our assistant Meren of Clan Nel Toth and her pet Temur Sabertooth will be more than happy to assist the king with another shopping trip.

Hopefully you're sold on joining the flock. If you are, we do have a small request. We're trying to rehome this poor orphan Tamanoa.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-17 2:09 pm 

moraff wrote:
We're trying to rehome this poor orphan Tamanoa.

If only it was Jeskai instead of Naya...

I'm going to say Kynaios and Tiro. Firstly, it could be built as a rather bizarre spells deck... I'm not sure why you'd do them in favor of things like Kykar, but who am I to judge? But it could also be built as a superfriends deck with access to red mana, and that's where I think our friend Tamanoa could shine - giving the various forms of Chandra, Koth of the Hammer, Ajani Vengeant and so forth lifelink.

Who would like to look into the Magic Mirror?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-17 2:44 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Who would like to look into the Magic Mirror?
I know of a guy named Riku who's famous for liking his reflection, but I have to concede that Mizzix of the Izmagnus is better than him for this card, as she's not only instant/sorcery-oriented, but also can make them cheaper, which is what you want if the Mirror is gonna stay for a few turns and draw you some obscene amount of cards. Then again, Riku could just play Mizzix in the 99 AND have access to some ramp and a wider variety of nasty spells, so...

Who can make the best use of Mirrorweave?

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2019-Nov-17 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-17 2:51 pm 

Antis wrote:
Who can make the best use of Mirrorweave?

For me, that's Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper. Mirrorweave does some serious work in that deck, because of the way copy effects work. If I target an animated land, all creatures become non-animated lands, which lets me save my board from most boardwipes, and also clears the path for my animated lands to punch in for the win. That's on top of its more common useage of making all your dudes into copies of whatever the best non-legendary on the table is and going ham that way.

How about The Royal Scions?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35